The Secretary of State has approved DV8′s application to open a free school in September 2014!
The Dv8 Academy “Re-imagine Education”
The Vision: In 2014 Dv8 Training will open the Dv8 Academy in London, a 16-19 school offering industry standard courses in Digital Media Production, Music Technology, Event Management, Performing Arts and Fashion and Design. The vision for the Dv8 Academy is to establish a school that will be regarded by young people, parents and employers as one of the leading schools in London for creative, music and media courses.
The students: The target student for the Dv8 Academy will be aged 16-18 in September 2014 from London who are passionate, creative and determined to develop a career in the creative sector. The school welcomes applications from all young people with high potential in creative, music & media.
Employers: The Dv8 Academy will be driven by the involvement of high profile and cutting edge employers influencing and shaping the curriculum and offer. We will work with employers to design programmes that produce young people with skills that are needed in today’s workplace. Employers will give talks, set projects, host visits, provide work experience and apprenticeships. Dv8 Training currently work with high profile employers including ITN news. Festival Republic, Universal Music, MTV, UNICEF, Adidas and Peer Music.
What will I study?: Vocational courses will be available at level 2 & level 3 (A-level standard) in Digital Media, Event Management, Music Technology, Performing Arts and Fashion & Design. All students will also study a language, enterprise, humanities, citizenship, employability and sports as well as Maths & English to level 2 (if not previously achieved)
Industry Projects: Students will work on a range of applied projects such as the IAMDV8 festival www.iamdv8.com, a one-day festival of creativity involving students, tutors, sponsors, artists and project partners as well as producing fashion shows, TV documentaries, digital record releases, showcases and exhibitions
Where can it take me?: There will be opportunities to progress into apprenticeships within the creative sector, partnerships with Universities that will offer taster days and pathways to courses and Dv8 Academy graduates will be supported to set up small businesses and enterprise projects.
Teachers from industry: The tutors at the Dv8 Academy will be dual professionals with formal teaching qualifications as well as many years of experience and success of working within the creative sector. All current Dv8 Training tutors are active in the creative sector including highly successful music producers, event managers, fashion designers, journalists and media specialists.
The school building: The Dv8 Academy school building will be modern, creative and unconventional. The Academy will incorporate Apple learning suites, music studios, rehearsal space, a theatre, fashion workshops and TV and radio studios. Space will be made available to students off timetable to develop ideas and extended projects.
High standards: Success and achievement at the Dv8 Academy will be underpinned by a strong disciplinary code, high competition for places and students will be expected to have high levels of punctuality and attendance in order to retain their place at the school.
- Current success rates at Dv8 are well above national averages including English and Maths
- 97% of students who completed a course with Dv8 Training during the 11-12 Academic year stated that their learning experience was good or outstanding
- Ofsted noted that Dv8 are outstanding at meeting the needs and interests of learners and that there are outstanding levels of understanding and mutual respect between learners and staff
- Entry to level 3: 5+ GCSEs A* – C including English
- Entry to level 2: 5+ GCSEs D-G including English
- You can register your interest now as a potential future student at the Dv8 Academy at www.dv8academy.com
- By registering you will also be added to the Dv8 Academy mailing list to receive updates and a full prospectus when it is published in 2013.
- You must be aged 16-18 in Sep 2014 to be eligible to register for the Dv8 Academy