Functional Skills – English, Maths and ICT at DV8 Training
Functional Skills (FS) is fast becoming the qualification recognised by employers as proof that applicants have the necessary numeracy, literacy and IT skills to complete tasks in the workplace. FS is delivered in a more contextualised (industry-based) way than the previous Key Skills qualification and GCSEs. Learners are now able to see the relevance of the skills they are learning. Qualifications are available from Entry Level to Level 2, and help students to progress onto further courses, both at Dv8 Training and at other colleges.
(Functional Skills Team Left to Right, Stuart Reddy, Lauren Ireland, Paulina Balogun & Leonie Bostock)
At Dv8 Training FS is a required element, in addition to the vocational course, and we offer qualifications in the following subjects:
- · English
- · Maths
- · Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
As a Dv8 student, FS will support you in completion of the vocational coursework and preparation for working in the industry. Employers want to get the most out of their employees, and in today’s competitive jobs market, this is a great opportunity to gain skills that make you stand out from the crowd.
Read on to find out more about the topics and skills covered in FS subjects…
- · Business emailing – how to write emails the way employers would like to be represented
- · Press release writing – how to professionally promote yourself
- · Biography writing – the best techniques for representing yourself (part of the PSD module)
- · Types of text – recognising and recreating a range of texts, considering purpose, audience and formality
- · Improving communication skills – practising interview techniques and teamwork delegation skills
- · Improving literacy skills - grammar, punctuation, spelling and cohesion (flow)
– These skills have been very useful for our learners who are writing and performing their own lyrics
- · Percentages, Fractions , Calculation – budgeting, working out tax and VAT, understanding salaries, calculating deals on products and services
- · Measure – logistics, transporting equipment, fitting equipment into a studio, planning or designing venues for events,
- · Charts and Graphs – visual representation of data to support business proposals, understanding graphs – what do they tell you?..
- · Screen shots – how to annotate your vocational coursework (for example, to discuss your work in Logic)
- · Photoshop – how to create posters and promotional material for live events
- · Excel – how to use spreadsheets to budget tasks such as the setting up of a studio
- · Email – setting up your own account, composing emails that look professional, adding attachments, etc
- · Power Point presentation – how to create professional looking presentations
You will be asked to complete an initial diagnostic test to give us a clear idea of your strengths and areas for improvement. This will help the tutors cater to your individual learning needs. Additional Learning Support (ALS) is also on offer through FS.
Ofsted found FS at DV8 to be an area of national best practice – Click here to view Ofsted Report
If you have any questions about the topics or skills listed above, or for more information on levels and progression routes, please contact Lauren Ireland (FS Manager) or a member of the FS team.